Tube4vids logo

Your daily adult tube feed all in one place!

My Unorthodox Life star Julia Haart's defamation case against Silvio Scaglia is DISMISSED

PUBLISHED
UPDATED
VIEWS

A New York Supreme Court judge has dismissed My Unorthodox Life star Julia Haart's defamation lawsuit against estranged husband and self-proclaimed 'billionaire' Silvio Scaglia, DailyMail.com can reveal.

The ruling was handed down on Friday and marks the end of one of several litigations in which the former couple has been locked since their acrimonious split last year after two years of marriage.

Speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com Haart's attorney Martin Singer revealed his client's intention to appeal and confidence that the appellate court 'will see things differently and will decide in [her] favor.'

He said: 'We strongly disagree with and are disappointed in the ruling, especially given the factual and legal support for Julia Haart's claims that was presented to the court.'

Julia Haart, 52, who has been locked in a bitter divorce battle with the former billionaire husband, had accused him of using a team to smear her in the press

Julia Haart, 52, who has been locked in a bitter divorce battle with the former billionaire husband, had accused him of using a team to smear her in the press

The judge's ruling on Frida marks the end of one of several litigations in which Haart and Silvio Scaglia had been locked since their acrimonious split last year after two years of marriage

The judge's ruling on Frida marks the end of one of several litigations in which Haart and Silvio Scaglia had been locked since their acrimonious split last year after two years of marriage

The ruling was made in response to Scaglia's motion to dismiss Haart's complaint

The ruling was made in response to Scaglia's motion to dismiss Haart's complaint 

Haart, 52, filed the libel suit last year, accusing her soon-to-be ex of using a team to smear her in the tabloids and orchestrating a 'malicious campaign' to paint her as a 'seductress' who 'frivolously squandered' their modeling agency's 'cash and other assets behind his back'.

But in his court decision, obtained by DailyMail.com, Judge Douglas Hoffman found that, however bitter, many of the statements issued on Scaglia's behalf since their split were covered under the umbrella fair reporting.

He also concluded that none of the many things said by Scaglia met the high legal bar of defamation as Haart's team had not proved 'actual malice' on her ex's part. 

In dismissing the case Friday, Judge Hoffman noted: 'To say that the end of this two-year marriage and business relationship …is resulting in a remarkable scorched earth approach to litigation on both sides would be an understatement.' 

Haart gained acclaim as the inspirational mother of four and businesswoman who broke away from her ultra-Orthodox life in the Hasidic Jewish community in Monsey, New Jersey and made a new life for herself and her family.

That life included a business and romantic relationship with Silvio Scaglia, 64, whom she met in 2016 and married three years later, in June 2019.

When the marriage came to an end in 2022 viewers of her Netflix show saw both Haarrt and Scaglia say they hoped for an amicable split.

Nothing could have been further from the truth. 

Instead, within days of being blindsided by the divorce Haart found herself carved out of Elite World Group, the model agency and business that she had helped grow.

The former couple, who married in 2019, have been entangled in at least five other lawsuits in New York and Delaware, since February 2022

The former couple, who married in 2019, have been entangled in at least five other lawsuits in New York and Delaware, since February 2022 

Within days of being blindsided by the divorce Haart found herself carved out of Elite World Group, the model agency and business that she had helped grow

Within days of being blindsided by the divorce Haart found herself carved out of Elite World Group, the model agency and business that she had helped grow

Worse still, Haart alleged in her suit, in the wake of their failed marriage Scaglia embarked on a 'media campaign to destroy' both her personal and professional reputation.

Among the many accusations the Italian businessman leveled against the woman he once claimed to love were claims that she misappropriated more than $850,000 of company funds and held on to company property including a luxury bespoke Bentley.

Haart starred in the popular Netflix series last year, which focused on her rise in the fashion industry after she left her strict religious household at age 42

Across several press releases between February and July 2022 Scaglia claimed he was 'days away from requesting [Julia's] arrest' and depicted her as a 'con artist' who had set out to meet, entrap and 'dupe' him into falling in love with her.

In a March 2022 press release he announced that he was retaining well known criminal attorney, Benjamin Brafman, to 'conduct a thorough investigation of Ms Haart as to whether she has violated any federal, state, or local criminal laws'. 

In his ruling, however, the judge noted that Haart failed to show that 'the language of the communication as a whole can be reasonably read both to impart a defamatory inference and to affirmatively suggest that the author intended or endorsed that inference.' 

'The statements challenged herein fail this rigorous test. The statements do not accuse Haart of criminal conduct on their face. Nor do the statements, when read in the context of the entire press release, reasonably impart a defamatory inference that Haart had engaged in criminal conduct,' the judge said in his written order. 

For her part Haart has always maintained that they built their company Elite World Group, of which she was once Chief Executive Officer, together.

But since February 2022 the former couple have been entangled in at least five other lawsuits in New York and Delaware. 

The judge concluded that none of the many things said by Scaglia met the high legal bar of defamation as Haart's team had not proved 'actual malice' on her ex's part

The judge concluded that none of the many things said by Scaglia met the high legal bar of defamation as Haart's team had not proved 'actual malice' on her ex's part

One is a contested matrimonial suit, another concerns more than $850,000 of company funds which Scaglia alleges Haart misappropriated. 

In yet another, Haart alleges that it was Scaglia, not she, who plundered company funds.

It was in the context of these dueling suits that Haart brought her libel action against Scaglia.

The pair split in 2021 but agreed to delay the divorce until after they took Elite public or sold it privately.

But according to her lawsuit, Haart canceled that agreement and filed for divorce after Scaglia allegedly siphoned off $1.5million from their shared management company in February this year – after which she says his 'defamatory' smears began.

Scaglia's former Executive Assistant Tania Cohen, 54, supported Haart in an exclusive interview with DailyMail.com in Januray, in which she claimed that her former boss was 'obsessed' with his ex-wife and has set out on a 'crusade to destroy her.'

She also accused him of using the company Haart and he once jointly ran as his own personal slush fund with which he paid for an extravagant lifestyle of private yachts, jets, vacations, and cars as well as a $342,000 engagement ring for his new fiancée, Michelle Marie Heinemann.

Comments