Your daily adult tube feed all in one place!
The DOJ has appealed a Florida judge's decision to block the Biden administration's plan to begin releasing migrants into the community in the wake of Title 42.
As the fallout from the expiration of the order continues, DailyMail.com obtained new photos showing dozens of migrants being apprehended by Border Patrol as they illegally cross into the US.
Biden's proposed 'paroles' were to be triggered when holding centers reach 125 percent capacity, or when authorities stop 7,000 migrants along the border in a day.
That plan was halted on Thursday night when US District Judge T. Kent Wetherell, a Donald Trump appointee, agreed with the argument from Florida Governor Ron DeSantis' administration, which had filed suit in court, that the Biden plan was nearly identical to another Biden policy previously voided in federal court.
Throngs of migrants showed up at the southern border on Saturday as Title 42 expired
Border Patrol apprehend migrants after they crossed the border illegally into Sunland Park, New Mexico on May 13
The White House has accused Republicans, especially Gov. Ron DeSantis of sabotaging efforts to deal with the post Title 42 fallout
'The way we see that it's sabotage. It's pure and simple. That's how that reads to us,' White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said at her daily press briefing on Friday
'The Department of Justice is going to fight it,' White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre announced Friday.
'Republican elected officials continue to play games here,' she said. 'They continue to have political stunts, and they don't want to solve this problem. They want to use it again as a as a campaign tool for them.'
In the case, the Justice Department said the new policy was a response to an emergency and being prevented from carrying it out 'could overwhelm the border and raise serious health and safety risks to noncitizens and immigration officials.'
Wetherell blocked the releases for two weeks and scheduled a May 19 hearing on whether to extend his order.
Title 42 allowed authorities to use a public health law to rapidly expel migrants crossing over the border, denying them the right to seek asylum. US officials turned away migrants more than 2.8 million times under the order.
New rules strip away that ability to simply expel asylum seekers, but add stricter consequences to those not going through official migratory channels. Migrants caught crossing illegally will not be allowed to return for five years and can face criminal prosecution if they do.
Biden's plan was to parole migrants from bulging migrant centers with a 60 day ticket to reappear in front of an immigration officer
Those 'paroles' were to be triggered when holding centers reach 125% capacity, or when authorities stop 7,000 migrants along the border in a day
Now as that plan was halted by a Florida judge, migrants continue to flood the country, the White House is dealing with a legal saga. The administration plans to appeal
The Biden administration has also set caps on the amount of migrants allowed to seek asylum.
At the same time, Biden is likely to continue American pressure on Mexico and other countries to make it harder for migrants to move north.
Mexico's Secretary of Foreign Affairs Marcelo Ebrard said they don't agree with the Biden administration's decision to continue to put up migratory barriers.
'Our position is the opposite, but we respect their (US) jurisdiction,' Ebrard said.
Yet in a news briefing on Friday, he announced Mexico would carry out speedier deportations, and that it would no longer give migrants papers to cross through Mexico.
Thousands of other migrants from across the Hemisphere are continuing in a scramble to reach the United States-Mexico border and request asylum.
They race, unsure what changing migratory rules and the end of a pandemic-era border restriction, Title 42, would mean for their chances at a new life in the U.S.
Confusion has rippled from the US-Mexico border to migrant routes across the Americas, as migrants scramble to understand complex and ever-changing policies. And while Title 42 has come to an end, the flow of migrants headed north has not.
In the case, the Justice Department said the new policy was a response to an emergency and being prevented from carrying it out 'could overwhelm the border and raise serious health and safety risks to noncitizens and immigration officials'
Title 42 allowed authorities to use a public health law to rapidly expel migrants crossing over the border, denying them the right to seek asylum
U.S. officials turned away migrants more than 2.8 million times under the order.
From the rolling mountains and jungles in Central America to the tops of trains roaring through Mexico, migrants from Venezuela, Cuba, Haiti, Colombia, Nicaragua, Ecuador and beyond push forward on their journeys.
The problem, say experts, is that while migration laws are changing, root causes pushing people to flee their countries in record numbers only stretch on.
'It doesn't appear to be the case that this is going to curb the push or pull factors for migration from Central America, South America and other parts of the world,' said Falko Ernst, senior analyst for International Crisis Group in Mexico, in an interview with the Associated Press.
'The incentives for people to flee and seek refuge in safer havens in the United States are still in place.'
Others, like 25-year-old migrant Gerardo Escobar left in search of a better future after struggling to make ends meet in Venezuela like Contreras' family.
Escobar trekked along train tracks Friday morning just outside Mexico City, with 60 other migrants, including families and small children. They hoped to climb aboard a train migrants have used for decades to carry them on their dangerous journey.
Escobar was among many to say he had no clue what the end of Title 42 would mean, and he didn't particularly care.
'My dream is to get a job, eat well, help my family in Venezuela,' he said. 'My dream is to move forward.'
New rules strip away that ability to simply expel asylum seekers, but add stricter consequences to those not going through official migratory channels
The Biden administration has also set caps on the amount of migrants allowed to seek asylum
Despite misinformation prompting a rush to the border last week, analysts and those providing refuge to migrants said that they don't expect new policies to radically stem the flow of migrants.
While the new rules likely won't act as a strong deterrent, Ebrard and the head of a migrant shelter in Guatemala said they saw a drop in the number of migrants they encountered immediately following the rush on the U.S. border. Though the shelter leader said numbers have been slowly picking up.
Still, migrants continued to make it across the U.S. border, even as the new rules were announced. At a cemetery near Roma, Texas, about 60 migrants who had crossed the Rio Bravo were waiting to be processed around midnight. They included a large group of Chinese migrants who huddled for cover under a driving rain.
Another member of the group, a Guatemalan who left her country to escape an abusive husband, crossed the river with her four-year-old son. With the rules changing, she was unsure if she'd qualify for any asylum help.
Ernst, of International Crisis Group, warned that such measures could make the already deadly journey even more dangerous.
'You'll see an increase in populations that remain vulnerable for criminal groups to prey on, to recruit from and make a profit from,' he said. 'It could just feed into the hands of these criminal groups.'
Meanwhile, Contreras continues trucking forward alongside many other migrants, even with no clear pathway forward and little information about what awaits them at the U.S. border.
It's worth it, she said, to give a better life to small children traveling with them.
'We've fought a lot for them (the kids),' she said. 'All we want is to be safe, a humble home where they can study, where they can eat well. We're not asking for much. We're just asking for peace and safety.'